Child Support

When parents divorce, separate, or otherwise end the relationship in, the court may order the non-custodial parent to pay a certain portion of his or her income to the custodial parent for child support.  These payments usually continue until the child reaches 18 years of age or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later.

The amount of support a parent may be obligated to pay is regulated by statutory guidelines. The guidelines take into account the income of both parents, along with the number of children of the parties, and the total number of children the parent has a legal duty to support. The guidelines also factor in the cost of health insurance, child care, and tax deductions.  The South Carolina Department of Social Services Child Support Calculator will provide you with a good estimate of your child support obligation or calculation.

Although the guidelines are presumed to be in the best interest of the children, this presumption may be rebutted in certain circumstances. A party may offer evidence relating to the specific needs of a child, the amount of parenting time exercised by each party, or other case specific factors which may warrant a deviation from the guidelines.

Since the guidelines vary from case-to-case, the calculation of child support funds can become complex. Mason Legal Services, LLC, is well-versed in family law, and can offer you a better understanding of your child support calculation.

Modification of Child Support

South Carolina Law recognizes that people’s financial circumstances change, as does a family’s financial needs. Over time people change jobs, lose jobs, earn more money, or may no longer be employed. If the circumstance of you, your child, or the other parent, have materially and substantially changed since the rendition of your last court order, you may be entitled to modify the terms of the existing child support obligation. 

If you believe that the circumstances have substantially changed since your last child support court order, and you would like to request a modification, contact us today.

Enforcement Actions

If the non-custodial parent falls behind on support payments, steps can be taken to ensure these payments are made to the custodial parent. Some of those enforcement measures include:

  • Wage withholding
  • Filing a Rule to Show Cause
  • Collecting funds that are due from state or federal tax refunds
  • Jail sentence and judgment for non-payment 

Whether you want to file for a support order, modify an existing order, or get information about enforcement of an order, Cynthia K. Mason can provide you with the legal guidance needed to obtain a solution for your child support issues. 

Mason Legal Services, LLC will provide you with the guidance, expertise, and support you need to navigate this process. We always have the best interest of your child/children in mind, and we will work hard to help you obtain an order that best suits your entire family. Contact us today to learn about the options available to you and your family.

Cynthia K. Mason assists clients throughout Richland County, Lexington County, Fairfield County, Greenville County, Newberry County, Calhoun County, Kershaw County, Aiken County and Sumter SC.

Hiring an attorney is an important decision which should not be based solely on advertising. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

© 2024 Cynthia K. Mason | Disclaimer
723 Laurel Street, Columbia, SC 29201
| Phone: (803) 683-7158

About Us | Personal Injury | Family Law | Contract and Property | Probate