Property Disputes

Property issues can take many forms.  We represent property owners with various legal services, including:

Quiet Title Actions

A quiet title action is brought to establish a party's title to property, quieting everyone else's claims to ownership of that property. Title disputes can arise for many different reasons, including:

  • Boundary Line Disputes:  Boundary disputes happen quite often in residential neighborhoods. In short, neighboring property owners disagree over where the property line that separates them is located.

  • Encroachments: An encroachment occurs when one person's property extends beyond his boundaries and encroaches on the adjoining land of another. Generally, no person has the right to build or place any structure on his own land so that part of the structure, no matter how small, encroaches or extends onto the land of another.
  • Unrecorded Transfers: The Registrar of Deeds’ Office within each county records and maintains all transfers of property.  If a transfer occurs, but the deed isn’t recorded, it causes problems in the property’s chain of title.
  • Adverse Possession:  Adverse possession is a doctrine that allows people to claim ownership of property after having used it and possessed it without permission for at least 10 years.  Adverse possession is a complex issue in which legal representation is very important. We can assist you with ejectment actions in order to remove unwanted possessors from your property, or investigate the issue to determine whether you now have a right to the title of property you use.

Quit Claim Deeds

A quitclaim deed is a legal document that transfers an interest in real property from a grantor to a grantee.  Generally, the grantor, who is the owner or the person with a legal interest in the property, conveys his interest to the grantee, who is the person who acquires the interest in the property. Unlike most other property deeds, a quitclaim deed contains no guarantees as to the status of the title to the property.  This means that the grantor does not guarantee that he or she actually owns any interest in the property at the time of the transfer.  As a result, the grantee is entitled only to whatever interest the grantor actually possessed at the time the transfer occurred.

We will take the time to understand your property dispute by listening carefully to your issues. We will answer your questions, so you can understand your legal options and make an informed decision about how we can assist you.  Contact us today to arrange a consultation.

Cynthia K. Mason assists clients throughout Richland County, Lexington County, Fairfield County, Greenville County, Newberry County, Calhoun County, Kershaw County, Aiken County and Sumter SC.

Hiring an attorney is an important decision which should not be based solely on advertising. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

© 2024 Cynthia K. Mason | Disclaimer
723 Laurel Street, Columbia, SC 29201
| Phone: (803) 683-7158

About Us | Personal Injury | Family Law | Contract and Property | Probate